Thursday, April 16, 2015

Paying Close Attention

Sometimes we take things for granted. We chose to ignore things we don't think affect us. As a voter, taxpayer, whose children have long finished their high school years, I could say what goes on with the Board of Education for the Poway Unified School District, does not affect me. I could turn a blind eye to the goings on. I could say, "It ain't my problem."

Many who know me, know it is not in my nature to sit back and do nothing, when something I worked so hard to fix is being dismantled. In 1994, I sought election to the Board of Education after serving on several committees and watching the dysfunction of the Board and the strife it created with its employees. I was elected with two other, new board members and set out to learn the role and responsibility of a Trustee. This learning curve is a big one. To say I was over whelmed would be a huge understatement.

Last November, three new members were elected to the Board of Education for the PUSD. The two currently seated members of the board have two and 18 years experience respectively. The resulting lack of experience and knowledge, coupled with the apparent belief their election is a mandate to enact their will, is setting in motion the destruction of a nationally recognized school district.


I think the above picture illustrates the current majority on the school board. The sad part is, they don't recognize this. On April 14, 2015, the board held a "Special Board Meeting" to discuss negotiations with the Poway Federation of Teachers (PFT). The video is about an hour long and will offer a look into the views of certain board members.

There were eight citizens who spoke to support the agendas of Beatty and Sellers. The President of the PFT and a teacher (Greg Stratchan) for the district (he is also a past student, parent of students and resident) also spoke. I wrote in a prior post about the "Play Book". See anything during the public comments that ring a bell?


Taking a page from Greg Stratchan and quoting Edmund Burke; "The only thing necessary for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". Pay attention people. The silent majority often submit to the vocal minority, allowing them to dictate their will. Let your voices be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when posting comments.